OneDrive for Business offers BaseHost Office 365 customer access to cloud storage using your Office365 account. The instructions below are intended to provide basic steps for accessing OneDrive for Business, which is provided as part of Microsoft's Office 365 service.
Notice: After September 12, 2017, users must use the new OneDrive for Business sync client in order to sync OneDrive for Business to their local PCs. Instructions for installing the new version of the sync client are provided below or refer to Upgrade to New OneDrive Sync Client for more information.
OneDrive for Business is available to users with an active Office365 account that is provided with access to OneDrive storage.
Using the Next Generation OneDrive Sync Client
As of April 2016, the OneDrive Next Generation Sync Client is now available for both Windows and Mac platforms. Please refer to Improve your OneDrive sync experience for more information. If you choose to proceed with an upgrade, be sure to test the process before attempting to deploy to users in your area. It is strongly recommended that users back up any folders and files currently being synced with OneDrive for Business before attempting an upgrade to the Next Generation Sync Client.
Features of the new client include:
- Removal of the 2 GB single file restriction
- Removal of the restriction limiting users to 20,000 documents within a library
- Enhanced syncing performance
- Users can specify which files / folders to sync
Installation Instructions for Next Generation Sync Client
Windows (Windows 7 or newer):
- Please backup your files before starting!
- Clean up the old sync client/folders if necessary:
- If already using the OneDrive for Business Sync client, right-click the cloud icon in the system tray and choose "stop syncing library"
- Exit all OneDrive applications from the system tray (right-click the cloud icons and choose "exit" to stop the OneDrive.exe and Groove.exe apps)
- Optional - If already syncing using the OneDrive for Business client, rename or delete the existing sync folder "C:\Users\yourname\OneDrive - Your Business Name"
- Navigate to Add/Remove Programs, and if the old OneDrive for Business client exists, uninstall it.
- Deploy the new OneDrive Client:
- Download and run OneDriveSetup from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=248256 (this is a silent installation).
- Run the OneDrive App (Start > All Programs > OneDrive)
- Sign in with firstname.lastname@example.org credentials
- Choose the local folder to store the sync files
- Choose the folder(s) you want to sync from OneDrive
- Done! Once setup, it will start whenever the user logs on.
Recovering Deleted Files in OneDrive for Business
BaseHost does not maintain a backup of files stored in OneDrive for Business. However there is a built-in Recycle Bin that can be used to restore items deleted from OneDrive for Business. The default retention period for items in the Recycle Bin is 90 days.
- Login to the Office 365 portal.
- Click on "OneDrive" in the top navigation menu.
- Click on the "gear" icon in the upper right corner and choose "Site Contents".
- Click on the "Recycle Bin" on the right hand side.
- Check the file(s) you'd like to restore, click "Restore Selection", and confirm the option when prompted.